Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Poor Man Freed After 15yrs Awaiting Trial In Prison, Forced To Say He Did What He Did Not Do

Effiong Elemi-Edu's testimony " I left my house to buy some suya (grilled meat) for dinner when I heard repeated gunshots. So I ran to a drain ditch to take cover -and when the shooting died down I wanted to rush to my residence. On my way I heard a voice shouting: "Stop there, stop there!" I had to stop. "Who are you?" I explained myself to the armed police, but before I knew what was happening, they were saying I was an armed robber and I was already in their vehicle.

Then they drove me down to Sars [Special Anti-Robbery Squad] -it wasn't only me. I saw a lot of people inside and they were all arrested. I'd never been to the Sars detention camp before. I was handcuffed and asked to sit down under the fruit tree and before I knew it, a man came and took me to "theatre". I didn't know what "the theatre" was -I thought I was going for an operation.

At the "theatre" I was asked to lie down flat, face on the ground, my hands up and they chained me with rubber twine and then suspended me from my legs. They were asking me if I knew the incident that happened to Pa Rewane and I said I didn't know what they were talking about. "I have never robbed, I've never stolen in my life -I don't know what you're talking about," I said. I had never met him, and there was no way for me to get in touch with people. I wasn't able to ask for a lawyer, my family weren't even allowed to get close to me. When they came looking for us, they drove them away and started insulting them. About 50 of us had been arrested but seven of us were eventually charged with the murder of Pa Rewane. I was shot in my left leg shortly after my arrest..................... what a terible experience this man went through, what a life, why should someone be forced to say he did what he did not. God save us o.

No comments:

Post a Comment