Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Our Names Are Not On The Voters List - Registrant



Complaints over the inadequacies of the Direct Data Capture machines and other logistic lapses noticed during the three-week voter registration may affect the final roll as registrants have complained of not finding their names.

During the one-week display of the register between February 14 and 18, our correspondents, who monitored the exercise, learnt that many registrants could not trce their names were not on the displayed lists.

The one-week display by INEC in the states across the country was for registrants to verify their names and other information, with a view to raising objections over detected errors.

“What manner of exercise is this? I have a voter card that I have been guarding jealously but my name is not on the register. What is the use of my card if I can’t vote,” a man who claimed that he registered on January 17 told one of our correspondents in a ward in Ikeja.

One of our correspondents, who registered at Ward nine, unit 01, Oko Oba in Orile-Agege area of the state, could not find his name on the list. Our correspondent registered on January 24, five days before the exercise initially ended.

The INEC registrar on duty when our correspondent visited the unit expressed surprise at the development. The registrar said the schedule showed that 40 voters were registered on that day and the names were complete.

She wondered how those who handled the registration at the unit could have recorded exactly 40 names when one was left out. Her efforts to see if the name was entered on another day failed.

“I’m sure the computer could not have generated this on its own. It was what was fed into it that it brought out. This is a peculiar case and I will report it to the officials.

“I’m in no position to explain what happened since they gave you a voter card. The corps members who worked in this unit are in the best position to explain. I am only here for the display of the voter register,” she said.

A man who refused to identify himself at a centre in Ikeja could barely control his anger when he was unable to find his name on the list. He said, “Why do I have to go through the stress of registering only to find that my name is missing from the lists? I was hoping to come here, check my name and leave but I’m now told to fill a complaint form.

Is this Systems error or registrant error?

No comments:

Post a Comment