Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Amosun’ll not perform better than Daniel if elected – OBJ


FORMER president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, has said that the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) governorship candidate, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, will not perform better than Governor Gbenga Daniel, if he eventually becomes the governor of the state.

Obasanjo said this while speaking with newsmen, after casting his vote at African Church Grammar School, Ward 11, Ita-Iyalode, Abeokuta, saying that he did not endorse Amosun as rumoured in some quarters on Monday night.

He described the rumour as “a deliberate fabrication of lies,” saying that the people behind it were mischievious.

“Those who did that were just mischievous. It was deliberate fabrication of lies. All I said is that Amosun comes from the same ward where I come from and I said I know Amosun very well and nobody can say I do not know him. I said from what I know of him, if he ever becomes the governor of Ogun State, his performance will not be different from that of Gbenga Daniel.

“They are friends and they are birds of the same feathers. That was what I said and I do not see how that can mean that I endorsed Amosun,” Obasanjo said.

He wondered why, as chairman, Board of Trustees, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), he would endorse a candidate from another party.

“How can I, as the chairman of the Board of Trustees of a party, when the candidate of my party is contesting, that I will leave the candidate of my party to endorse the candidate of another party? Those who heard that should know that that is not my character,” he said.

He commended the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for conducting a peaceful and orderly election.
On post-election violence in the North, the former president admitted that there was the need for Nigerians to be educated on certain issues, saying that some changes were taking place which must be internalised.

“We need to educate ourselves and we need to understand what is happening. There are changes taking place in Nigeria and those changes have to be internalised by all of us and we have to adjust to those changes,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment