Saturday, March 12, 2011

‘Please Forgive Me,’ Daniel Pleads With Obasanjo, ‘You Are Forgiven,’ OBJ Replies


Daniel_appts_20-01-11
AFTER weeks of intense politicking and exchange of tirades between the duo, Ogun State Governor, Otunba Gbenga Daniel yesterday appealed to former President Olusegun Obasanjo to sheath his sword and forgive him for whatever offence he has committed.
Daniel informed newsmen of the latest development at the end of a three-hour reconciliation meeting held at Obasanjo’s Abeokuta Hilltop residence. In attendance at the meeting were Chief Afe Babalola, Chief Kessington Adebutu, Chief Kenny Martins and Olubara of Ibara, Oba Jacob Omolade, among other prominent Nigerians.
There had been a bitter quarrel between Obasanjo and Governor Daniel over who controls the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) structure in the state.
The duo have not been on talking terms for some time. In the aftermath, the quarrel had divided the state PDP into two factions with the Daniel faction defecting to the People’s Party of Nigeria (PPN).
Yesterday’s meeting, said to have been brokered by some eminent Nigerians, started at about 2:50pm and ended at 5:47p.m.
Daniel who spoke to reporters, said: “I think if you go to war, both parties have to sit down and find solution and that is what we have done today.”
Afterwards, he admitted that Gen. Adetunji Olurin is the Governorship candidate of the PDP.
Daniel said: “Let me say this to you: I am a true Yoruba son and in Yoruba land, it doesn’t matter who is right or wrong. It is the younger person that will beg the old. I have begged Baba and I will continue to beg Baba.”
When asked what was going to happen to his supporters who had already left the PDP. He answered: “Well, in all things, we must give thanks to God. I think what has happened here today is the manifestation of the work of God. I want to seize this opportunity to thank all the elders and also thank Baba (Obasanjo) for the opportunity of this meeting. I have no doubt that we can work things out and I think what we have started today is a manifestation of better things to come.”
He continued: “As you have always been aware, a large number of our supporters fell disenchanted. But I think if you go to war, we have to sit down and find peaceful solution and that is what we have started today. We will talk to ourselves to ensure that PDP remains strong and united. And you know there was never a time that I left the party. The people who left, felt aggrieved and we have started the process of reconciliation.”
Obasanjo, who spoke after Daniel stated that he had wholeheartedly forgiven him. “As I pray God to forgive me my sins, and I forgive people who sin against me and particularly those who ask for forgiveness. Then, I ask God that he should deliver me from evil and deliver those who sinned against me.”
Babalola, who was the first to speak to reporters after the closed-door meeting, said: “The different factions within the party have been finally merged. Governor Daniel will be at the Airport tomorrow to receive the President. I am happy that all the problems have been amicably resolved.”

No comments:

Post a Comment