Wednesday, November 23, 2011

FIFA president Blatter says racism row is over!




Kuala Lumpur – FIFA president, Sepp Blatter, said he has made his apologies for his comments on racism, insisting on “zero tolerance” for racism and considering the matter was over.
Blatter, who is attending the AFC (Asian Football Confederation) annual awards ceremony in Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday, was asked about his recent remarks on racism a week earlier, that such incidents could be solved by a handshake at the end of a game.
The comments triggered British media’s harsh criticism and Britain’s Sports Minister, Hugh Robertson and Gordon Taylor, the chief executive of England’s Professional Footballers Association, even called for Blatter’s resignation.
“I can only say this item for me is closed. There is no tolerance of racism,” said the 75-year-old at a press conference in the AFC headquarters.
“I have been interpreted as such and I have made my apologies. I cannot say anything more.
“There is no discrimination in my feelings, there is no racism, nothing at all. This matter for me is over. I cannot say anything more.
“We go forward. There is zero tolerance for racism, zero tolerance for discrimination in all activities in the field of play and outside the field,” added Blatter, who was re-elected for a four-year term in June.
But Blatter refused to stand down, saying that he was very much hurt by British media’s criticism because it touched him in his conscience and his determination to go against racism.  (NAN)

No comments:

Post a Comment