Thursday, March 1, 2012

James Iroha, a.k.a. Gringory Dies At 70.


Veteran comedy actor James Iroha popularly known as Giringory of the famous Masquerade TV comedy series has died at the age of 70.
GringoryThe news of his death was disclosed by Segun Arinze, the President of the Actors Guild of Nigeria(AGN) who confirmed it from his son. ‘I spoke with the son, Uche who confirmed the story.........We at AGN commiserate with his family. May God grant him eternal rest’, Arinze’s statement read.
Earlier this year, the veteran performer an interview where he lamented being poor, sick, and blind. According to the interview, Mr. Iroha said.
I am almost begging for food; so I need money to pay my rent, buy my medicines and maybe repair my car’, he said.
‘Giringory’ was a regular on the popular television soap, Masquerade, on the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), holding Nigerians spellbound with his acting prowess, especially owing to the comical bent in his performance.
Popular actor, Fred Amata in his post said: “He was a man of sterling talent, his particular style has inspired a generation of talents! His legacy will live long, God grant him rest.”
In his comment, Prof Okey Ndibe, a columnist and social crusader said, "I grew up looking forward each week to new episodes of "The New Masquerade." I relished the fabulous social comedy and biting satire offered by that program. Just a month or two ago, I read a dispiriting account of James Iroha's plight: his poverty, ill health and deteriorating eye sight. And now--in a way, mercifully!--he's gone on to his rest."
Before his death, Giringori  cried out for rehabilitation, saying he was broke.
A retired Director of Programmes at the Abia State Broadcasting Service, Giringori recently retired from active public life at an elaborate traditional ceremony known as “Igboto Mma” in home town of Amokwe Item, Abia State, in December 2011.
Giringori gave 40 years of his life to acting. But at 70, he died a pauper. Recently, he was compelled to make a desperate appeal to Nigerians in a national daily: “I am almost begging for food…I need money to pay my rent, buy my medicine. Now there is nothing between poverty and me. I am just nose-to-nose with poverty.”
He was afflicted in both eyes by the deadly glaucoma and cataract, for which he had undergone several operations both at home and abroad with no success. His family and friends  rallied round him to look for a permanent solution to his predicament.
The 1966 graduate of University of Ibadan  battled  with  illness  for over a decade. At one point, he was stranded for 16 days in India where he went for medical treatment.
Other members of the New Masquerade cast who have since passed on were Christy Essien-Igbokwe (Apena) and Claude Ake (Jegede Sokoya).

No comments:

Post a Comment